Thursday, August 8, 2013

Profiling. Of the good sort.

So, in preparation for my college tours this upcoming week, I decided to create a one page document with all the basic and pertinent information for each college I am interested in attending. (There are 17.)

To give you all an idea of how I went about doing this, here are some pictures of the profile I compiled on Boston College.



Yes, this does fit on one piece of paper, 8.5 x 11", with 1" margins all around.

I decided on what information to include in this based on what is important for me in a college or university.  For example, I included things about the English department that would be beneficial to my education, as well as opportunities to advance my academics.  I also included information about activities and clubs I would be interested in.  These are obviously going to vary for each person, but the general layout is the same.

I got all of this information from bigfuture.collegeboard.com , and I have an account there on which I store a list of all 17 of my schools.  The information is mostly accurate and up-to-date, but the centralized data organization is really the most helpful part.

After making the college profiles, I took 17 white paper folders, placed the profiles in sheet protectors, and then assigned each college a designated folder.  I will keep any information or propaganda from my visits this week in one side of the folder, and I will also place lined notebook paper in the folder to take notes as I tour the campuses.

I still have yet to design a master checklist and question list for the college visits.  I guess that's up next!

No comments:

Post a Comment